Camping Safety

Camping Safety

CAMPING SAFETY TIPS

  • Don’t cook inside your tent or awning.
  • Never take a lit BBQ into a tent, awning or motorhome. Even cooling barbecues gives off poisonous carbon monoxide (CO), which can kill.
  • Never use a fuel-burning appliance to heat your tent or awning. Only use gas and kerosene stoves outside unless they are a permanent fixture of your caravan or motorhome. Stoves and BBQs are designed for cooking not space heating.
  • Don’t use any other gas, charcoal, liquid or solid fuel appliances inside a tent or awning. Gas-powered fridges and lamps, for example, also need plenty of ventilation to prevent them producing poisonous carbon monoxide. Tents and awnings aren’t designed for this.
  • Consider using a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm, provided it is suitable for the conditions in which you intend to use it. Check with the supplier/manufacturer, though an alarm should never be used as an alternative to the precautions above.
  • Always have gas appliances in your caravan or motorhome serviced regularly.
  • You cannot smell, taste or see carbon monoxide but it can kill quickly and without warning. – Early stages of carbon monoxide poisoning can give symptoms similar to food poisoning or flu, though without a high temperature.

– Symptoms to look out for include headaches, dizziness, nausea, tiredness and confusion, stomach pains and shortness of breath.

  • – Higher concentrations can give more severe symptoms of intoxication such as vertigo (dizziness and loss of balance), loss of coordination, breathlessness, increased heartrate, seizures or unconsciousness leading to death.GAS CANISTERS
    • Changing the cartridge or cylinder can be dangerous. Please make sure you are familiar with the way your cartridge or cylinder fits onto your appliance or regulator.
  •  Never change the fuel container inside your tent or a building. Do it outside and away from naked flames.
  • If you think an appliance, cylinder or cartridge is leaking, particularly if liquid gas starts to spray out, move everyone away from the appliance until the container is empty and the gas has dispersed naturally.
  • Dispose of empty gas containers with care.
  • Never throw gas canisters onto a fire because as this may cause an explosion.

Our Partners